The past week has been absolute roller-coaster. Literally 8 days ago I was at Camp Chief Ouray finishing up my summer as a cabin counselor with some of the most inspirational, kind, and genuine people I've ever met. In the next 36 hours, I packed up everything I'd need for 4 months in Peru, spent some quality time with mom (thanks mom and dad so much for making that happen :), and drove to the airport. Every moment since then has been an ever-changing combination of excited beyond belief, lonely, adventurous, and scared shitless. So far I've hiked up a hill on the outskirts of Cusco to see a statue called Christo Blanco and some ruins called Sacsayhuaman (pronounced by all of the extranjeros as "sexy woman"), explored various streets and neighborhoods, witnessed one of my host sisters getting engaged, and gone to see an Argentinian rock band.
One of the many learning opportunities (AFGO's, for Melissa's reference) I've encountered along the way:
| On the way up to Christo Blanco |
You quickly grab your bag to see if anything is missing and are not all too surprised to find that your iPhone has gone missing. Now you're pissed. You grab his jacket and search through it but can't find anything. In a moment of insecurity you think that maybe you're just being a crazy gringa and making a big fuss over nothing when you actually just left your phone back at the hostel, but then you decide to follow through with it and so with your infinite knowledge of Spanish, you look directly at him with a disgusted and angry fire burning behind your eyes and say "¡¿En serio?!" Very sassy.
Then, you realize that you're the
luckiest person in the entire world. Because in addition to a thief being on
the bus with you, there also happens to be the most wonderful Peruvian
policeman ever. He hears everyone chattering about your phone being stolen,
lays down the law (literally) to all of the people on the bus, and suddenly
some other random guy is all to eager to pull your phone out from his pocket
and say that he found it on the floor. Mhmmmm.
So the moral of the story is this: All you have to do to get a stolen iPhone back is be really angry and sassy to the theif, and some nice policeman will hear you and help you out.
But in all seriousness, lesson learned.
Based on all of the crazy stories that I have to tell after only 6 days, this is going to be an incredible 4 months.
Hasta luego,
Hannah
I'm so glad you're writing a blog...now can you get Billy to write one? Keep filling up these pages with your adventures and, above all, stay sassy! xo Nancy
ReplyDeleteMore pictures!
ReplyDelete