![]() |
| Some ruins that we randomly happened across in the forest last night during our explorations. |
I’m here to do you all a very huge favor. I’m here to debunk
a myth that we’ve all been fed since day one, a myth that I refuse to allow to
continue to propagate. I’m doing this because I all care about you, so please
pay heed.
Time does not fly.
Nope, it sticks with you, walks beside you, chats with you,
laughs with you. And then one day, you’ll be minding your own business casually
walking along when you realize that Time has done it again! It’s snuck up when
you least expect it and shoved you in a wormhole and now days or weeks or
months have gone by and you have no idea how! It’s a sneaky devil, to say the
least. It hangs out with you all day every day, and lulls you into a steady
routine in which you can’t imagine that it would every do anything to hurt you,
and then BAM! It’s done it again. And you suddenly realize you’ve been living
in freaking Cusco, Peru for five weeks.
Wut!?!
So moral of the story: Beware of the sneaky devil named
Time, because he WILL sneak up on you just when you least expect it.
However, despite my frustrations with Time’s mind games, I
really have been soaking up every moment and taking advantage of muchisimos
opportunities, and so I have quite a few stories to tell and this blog is going
to be a long one. Feel free to stop reading at this point, it’s fine. You’ll be
missing out, but whatever, see if I care. Really. Just try me.
Estoy Empleada!
![]() |
| Making friends with a sloth! |
First and foremost in the realm of seized opportunities… I
am now officially a Peruvian bartender! Friday was my first night of work at an
Irish hostel-bar called the Wild Rover. And it was an absolute blast. It’s
really mostly for fun and a few discounted drinks, so I won’t be working much
more than once a week or so, but I have no doubt that there will be many crazy
stories coming out of that facet of my life here. Essentially it just gives me
the chance to meet a thousand awesome people from a thousand crazy places all
in a night’s work.
“Horrible”
Other great news… I have officially rolled my R’s in casual
conversation for the first time ever! It may or may not have been when I was
calling my host brother names, one of which was “horrible,” but no me importa.
I might forever have a horribly American accent, but I’m at least one step
closer to not sounding like a complete idiot (ha).
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
The ingredients needed to move a Peruvian rock:
1 massive boulder
10 willing people
9 endless feet
2 exhausting and tense hours
![]() |
| We moved this thing from the orange-ish pile of gloves... so like no distance at all. |
And that’s not a metaphor. This week’s service project involved the
reorganization of a school yard so that it would be safer and cleaner for the
children attending the school. This reorganization, for some ungodly reason,
involved the superhuman feat of moving a boulder from one side of the yard to
the other. Clearly necessary.
All ten of us would push with all of our might and prop it
up as much as we could, then we’d shove a rock underneath, and repeat until it
was supported enough to roll it over a little. Two hours later we had moved it
to where it needed to be. A morning well spent…
BUT despite all of my dramatic hysterics, it was a beautiful
sunny day with an incredible view from where we were working and I made myself
a doggy friend and it was nice and stuff. J
Cuy
![]() |
| Who wants to chow down on some teeth?! Anyone?? |
And the cherry on top of my excellent two weeks was this
past weekend. It was my friend Erika’s last couple of days before she had to go
back to the states after ten weeks of volunteering, so we decided to make it a
good one.
After having the absolute privilege of holding a sloth, we
decided to head down into the valley to try some of Tipon’s famous delicacy: guinea
pig. Is everyone picturing the cute little furry face of their childhood pet
right now? The way his little nose twitched and how he had that spot right behind
his ear? Got it now? Yeah? Well I ate his cousin. And he was absolutely
delicious.
But in all seriousness, cuy (the Quechua name for guinea pig
because of the little squeaks that they make) is quite tasty. They bring the
entire animal out, head and all, and you just kind of dig in! I didn’t go as
far as to try eating the head and whatnot, but I did try a lung and I must say
it was quite scrumptious.
The Magic Dog
One of the more adrenaline pumping highlights from this
weekend occurred in a small town called Huasao. This is a town that’s famous
for its shamans and mystics, so we decided to wander through it in hopes that
someone (or something) would pop out of a random hole in a wall somewhere and
tell us our fortunes. Didn’t happen, but a girl can dream.
![]() |
| Dalton looking a wee bit embarrassed after the incident, and you can just barely see the dog in the background! |
So as we were walking down the main street, we kept seeing
doors that seemed somewhat magical, so we would jokingly be like “ah! There’s
definitely magic behind THAT door!” and such things. We were having a great
time, making light of the fact that no shamans had appeared before us yet
(dammit), and walking off all of the cuy that we had consumed earlier when
suddenly someone seemed to forget that we were joking about the magic doors…
Now, just so everyone is clear, my dear friend Dalton has
the worst luck in the world. Some might say he’s clumsy, some could some other
things (Sorry Dalton) but really he just has the worst luck. He’s been bitten
by a dog, then the subsequent day surrounded by a pack of dogs, he’s gotten
food poisoning, his host family had a death in the family, the list goes on. I
have faith that his luck will turn, but unfortunately not in time to save him
this past weekend.
So anyway, back to the door. Dalton, for some reason
believing that there was indeed magic behind one particular door, and also
believing that it was somehow okay to go push on that door to see if it was
open (now looking back on it, I’m beginning to think a shaman most definitely jinxed
him) decides to go and see for himself what magic was present. He pushed the
door open not more than three inches or so when suddenly out burst two
viciously snarling dogs running at full speed. Right at us.
Despite the fact that we all nearly died from sheer panic,
we soon realized that the dogs were only posing as death’s personal henchmen
and we began breathing again. As I had time to reflect on the faces that I had
witnessed just as each one of us thought that we had met our end, I realized
how funny looking my friends are. Just kidding, but actually I would have
killed to have snapped a picture at that exact moment because I’ve never seen
five faces with such a petrified and absolutely flabbergasted look in my life.
![]() |
| So in love with this place. |
In conclusion, as much as this might come as a surprise to
many, Peru still rocks. What gets me the most is how literally every day comes
with a new and crazy experience that I could never have predicted. Some are
good, some are bad, some are scary, but the point is that every single day I
get to experience something new to me, and that’s my favorite part of this
whole ridiculous experience. So in the spirit of continuously seeking out new
horizons, I’ll leave you with a quote from John Krakauer:
“The very basic core
of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes
from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy
than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and
different sun.”






Live it up Melda!!! That sloth picture is too precious.
ReplyDelete