![]() |
| Steeper than it looks, I promise. |
We began our
voyage in the town of Ollantaytambo where the tourist portion of the Inca Trail
begins. With a few coca leaves in our cheeks and more in our backpacks, we were
ready to go. The first of the four days was rather uneventful – we passed by
some ruins and walked along a beautiful river, but we knew that the real challenge
would be day 2, in which we would have to hike uphill all day to summit the
first mountain pass, at a grand total of 13,776 feet in elevation.
The one
notable activity from day one is our introduction to our eleven incredible
porters who were accompanying us on the trail. Something that I was unclear
about before we got on the trail is just how much support we would have. For
the eleven of us on the trip, there were eleven porters plus a cook and two
guides. Every day they would race ahead of us with their backpacks weighing up
to 88 pounds and get to camp early so that they could set everything up. And by
“everything” I don’t just mean tents. For every meal (including tea time,
because what would we have done without that?) we sat in a high roofed tent
furnished with stools and tables with a table cloth and metal cutlery. The
farthest thing from rustic.For lunch,
we had soup, the main course, and tea. For dinner, we had soup, the main
course, and dessert. In the morning, we would be woken up with hot cups of coca
tea delivered right to our tents. To be honest, it was moderately obscene. I
didn’t go into the Inca Trail expecting to be waited on hand and foot. I
expected to be hiking, camping, sitting on the ground, eating rice and beans
out of a cup, and feeling at least mildly self-sufficient. Instead, we
essentially had servants. As a person who’s used to going camping and doing
everything on her own, it took a bit of getting used to, to say the least.
![]() |
| Beautiful picture taken of our porters by a professional photographer in our group. |
But the
bottom line is that these men need jobs. They live in the small poorer towns
surrounding Cusco and will come to the Inca Trail for a month at a time, doing
the trip over and over and over again so that they can save up enough money to
go home and farm their land. They don’t get paid much, but they’re all so happy
and positive individuals that you’d never know they spend their days catering
to every ridiculous need that the tourists might have. But the truth is that
the Inca Trail wouldn’t be feasible if it weren’t for the assistance of these
incredible gentleman; For a lot of people, they make the journey possible. So
here’s a shout out to those crazy men and their massive calf muscles.
Day two
began with uphill, persisted with uphill, and ended with uphill. When you talk
to people who have done the Inca Trail, they always warn you about all of the
stairs on the second day. They weren’t lying. I swear I haven’t seen that many
stairs in all of my life put together. Up and up we went, through the cloud
forest and eventually reaching the alpine tundra. From there we were able to
finally glimpse the mountain pass that we would eventually be conquering – not
the most encouraging sight I’ve ever seen in my life.
But onward
we plunged, up towards the clouds. Though the top kept getting visibly closer
and closer, it never seemed to be more encouraging. I had probably 500 feet of
steps left and was just
about to take yet another breather when I heard a porter coming up behind me. Usually they’re going way faster than you could ever go and so it’s best to get out of the way, but as I stepped to the left to let him pass I heard him say something that I didn’t quite catch…
about to take yet another breather when I heard a porter coming up behind me. Usually they’re going way faster than you could ever go and so it’s best to get out of the way, but as I stepped to the left to let him pass I heard him say something that I didn’t quite catch…
Me -- “Como?” (what?)
Porter – “Ven conmigo, amiga! Si se puede,
no necesitas descansar!” (Come with me, friend! It can be done, you
don’t need to rest!)
Me – (deciding
it would be best to not whine to the guy with the 80lb backpack) “uhhh… okay!”
![]() |
| View from the top of the highest pass! |
After my new
friend left me there on the summit of highest pass on the Inca trail, I took a
look around and was blown away. It suddenly hit me – I was in the Andes. And
yeah, I know, old news. But for the last three months that I had been actually
living in the mountains, it never hit me like it did right then. I looked
around me at the incredible, dramatic landscape, and I seriously could have
cried tears of joy I was so overwhelmed by it all. Between the endorphins from
hiking all day, the fresh air hitting my lungs, and the incredible landscape
that was unfolding before my eyes, I could hardly believe it. The Andes
Mountains, the Inca Trail, Machu Picchu, all of these things that I had been
hearing about my entire life, and I was actually there experiencing it. I
literally have no idea what I did to get this lucky. No freaking clue.
A little
while later when I had come down from my oxygen deprivation fueled Ande
Mountain high, I dug into my backpack and pulled out my reward: oreos. So damn
delicious.
![]() |
| First view of Machu Picchu from the SunGate!!! |
A mere hour
and a half later, at 3:30am, we were awakened to begin the final leg of our
trek. We forced open our eyes, shoved all of our belongings in our packs, and
hiked down to the checkpoint where… we sat in the dark for an hour and a half
until the checkpoint opened so we could race up the final hill towards the sun
gate.
When the
checkpoint finally opened its doors and we were allowed through, we began the
final push up to the top of the pass where we would be able to see Machu Picchu
for the very first time. The following 45 minutes was a mad dash to the top –
all of us sweating balls but far too impatient to stop and take off our several
layers of jackets. We walked along cliffs, passing people as we went, until we
scaled one final staircase to emerge at the top of the sungate, where we were
able to see Machu Picchu for the first time.
So here is
my recommendation to you: if you want to see Machu Picchu, hike the Inca Trail.
There’s nothing quite like hiking towards something for four days along a path
that was quite literally built by the Incas. And there I finally was. After
hearing about it, reading about it, and seeing pictures of it, I was actually
standing there looking at it with my own two eyes. And it didn’t disappoint.
![]() |
| Entirely inspiring 65 year old couple from Holland who I met along the trail. Always hiking with the biggest smiles on their faces. |
For me the
most amazing thing about Machu Picchu is what it’s surrounded by. It sits on the
saddle between two enormous and steep mountains, circled by the Urubamba River
thousands of feet below. The mountains surrounding it are impossibly steep and
treacherous looking, making it impossible to not wonder who the hell came up
with the brilliant idea to build a city on the top of one of these monstrous
things. Those Incas seriously did not shy away from a challenge.
Once we had
soaked in our triumphant moment at the sungate, we continued the rest of the
way down the mountain to enter the ruins of Machu Picchu. Now, I won’t bore you
with whatever random theories our guide came up with, but if you’re ever
looking for something to do, check out the PBS documentary on the site. The
thing is that even though we’ll never really know what the Incas were thinking
or why they did the things they did, this doesn’t stop people from theorizing
and making stuff up until the day they die. So while I’ve heard quite a few
different stories about this stuff, the most seemingly genuine information I’ve
received was from that documentary: check it out, it’s cool shit.
The next
four hours or so were spent wandering around, taking the obligatory 726,389
pictures, and having our minds blown over and over again as we contemplated
what this incredible place must have been like.
Once we felt
that we had explored and soaked it all in as much as we could, we decided to
head down the mountain into the town called Aguas Calientes that is located
directly below Machu Picchu in order to enjoy some good food and the hot
springs. We found a restaurant, paid way too much for some food (Aguas
Calientes is by far the ritziest place I’ve so far encountered in Peru) and
decided to adventure our way to the hot springs. At this point it was only
Dalton, his girlfriend Caitlin, and me because everyone else had supposedly
heard that the hot springs were nasty, but we figured they couldn’t be that bad
so we decided to check them out.
![]() |
| Famous carving in the ruins -- shaped to mirror the mountains behind it. |
We hiked up
the river and entered the area with all of the pools to encounter the brownest,
most unappealing water you can possibly imagine. But being the conditioned
Peruvians that we are, there was no way we were about to waste 10 soles, so we
all hopped in. Based on how much my bug bites stung as soon as I stepped in, it
probably wasn’t the best idea in the world, but I’m alive and around to tell
the tale soo…. Oh well!
We tried out
a few different pools: one where there was a guy who was either sleeping or
masturbating, one where there was a little girl who liked to throw dirt water
into Dalton’s face, and one that wasn’t even warm, and then we decided to cut
our losses and call it a day.
We left the
hot springs, bought some candy, and wandered into the main square laughing at
what a classic Peruvian adventure it all was. And that’s when it hit me.
| Our team! |
I’m going to
miss being surprised every day.
As much as
I’m absolutely ecstatic to be finally going home after a whole year away,
leaving this place is going to be devastating. I’ve fallen in love with the
chaos of it all. I’ve fallen in love with the fact that even though I’ve lived
here for nearly four months, every day is completely unpredictable. I’ve fallen
in love with the people, the culture, and the family that I’ve discovered here.
Leaving here is not going to be an easy feat.
But how
lucky am I, that I’m able to have so many people and places sharing a part of
my heart? I couldn’t have asked for a better host family here. I have a mom who
would do anything for me, host siblings to make fun of me, and a little host
nephew to humor me. I’ve met travelers who have inspired me to believe that
traveling the world is not beyond my grasp, and I’ve made friends here who have
helped me through a little bit of everything: good and bad.
The sadness
that I’m feeling now because of my impending departure from this truly
life-altering experience is tempered by my gratitude for the amazing people
that I’ve encountered. Because that’s what it comes down to, really. The sum of
the experiences that I’ve had down here in South America has been incredible,
but they’d mean close to nothing without all of the human connections that I
made along the way. From the travelers I’ve encountered, to the friends in my
program who have been through so much with me, to the host family that has been
there every step of the way. The experiences that I’ve had with, and often
because of, these people are what I’m going to carry with me moving forward.
And since in
about 12 minutes it’ll officially be Thanksgiving, thank you. Thanks to each
and every person who I’ve encountered along my way, because whether you were
the porter who helped me to the top of the pass, the painter who needed my help
with his English homework, or the travelers that I’ve connected with along the
way, you have absolutely shaped my experience here. I could even honestly say
that you were the ones who created my experience here.
So this
year, for Thanksgiving, I’m thankful for the random life events that have
brought me here and allowed me to meet the stellar personalities that I’ve
encountered in the last several months. You’ve taught me that it’s not really
the places that you see, or the things that you conquer, that make an
experience memorable. Instead, it’s the human connections that you forge along
the way.
Gracias por
todo,
Hannah
Also if you're looking for a thought provoker, check this video out! (it's short, I promise)






No comments:
Post a Comment